Lightened version Fannie Farmer Mac n’ Cheese
(I think it is still to heavy for our diets, but if it is something you like to indulge in once in a while, please check this out.)
5 1/3 ounces fat-free cottage cheese
8 teaspoons skim milk
1 (8 ounce) package macaroni
4 tablespoons light butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup skim milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1. First you will need to made a cream sub. out of the 8 teaspoons of milk and the cottage cheese. Place both ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. Set in fridge until it is needed.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
4. In a large saucepan melt butter.
5. Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
6. Pour milk and cream sub. in gradually; stirring constantly.
7. Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
8. Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
9. Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
10. Turn off flame.
11. Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
12. Transfer macaroni to a greased baking dish.
13. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
14. Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
15. (You can also freeze this recipe in zip-lock bags for later use – once you have mixed the macaroni along with the cheese sauce allow to cool to room temperature before adding to your freezer – I generally pull it out the night before and allow macaroni and cheese to reach room temperature; I then add the macaroni and cheese to a buttered baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and then bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and bubbling.
Recipe courtesy of http://www.food.com
Make sure to FOLLOW me for daily encouragement, recipes, tips and more! http://www.facebook.com/candice.ross1